- 2 cans Organic Refried Beans
- Corn Tortillas (24 count)
- 1.5 to 2 lbs Organic Ground Beef
- 1 can green chilies
- Non-Stick Spray
For Enchilada Sauce
- 1 can of Organic Tomato Sauce
- Kosher Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter (we use Smart Start Light made from Olive Oil)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Then start with your Enchilada Sauce.
Melt butter in saucepan on stove top over medium to medium low heat. Once melted, add cornstarch and mix till paste is formed. If too liquidy you can add another Tbsp of cornstarch.
Once mixed together, put over low heat. Slowly add in can of tomato sauce (3/4 of the can is needed). Add in seasoning- salt, cumin, garlic and onion powder, and chili powder to taste. (depends on your palate, but we use 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 2 tsp chili powder). Add in water and then turn heat up to medium-high.
Bring to boil to thicken and then reduce temperature to low. Taste test to make sure you don't need more seasoning and then set aside off of the heat with a lid on the pan.
In another sauce pan, put re-fried beans with 1 tsp water. Heat on low heat.
While beans are warming (they are already cooked so you are just warming them up), get pan out to cook meat. Over medium heat, brown beef with salt, garlic and onion powder cumin, and chili powder to taste.
Add in can of green chilies to meat when you add seasoning. Once meat is done cooking, drain excess fat and oil and then take the enchilada sauce you set aside and stir into meat. Don't forget about your beans. If they are warm now, turn heat off.
Use two 13x9 casserole dishes, spray with non-stick spray. To fill each corn tortilla, take one to two spoon fulls of beans, roll up and place seem down in pre-sprayed baking pans. Roll until all the beans are gone (about 24 corn tortillas).
Cover rolled tortillas with beef mixture (browned beef and enchilada sauce). Cover baking dishes with foil and bake in the pre-heated 3550 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Remove and enjoy!
* Add cheese to the beans, if you can have it. If you like Daiya or other vegan veggie cheeses you can use those as well.
* Corn tortilla tips- warm 5-6 tortillas at a time in the microwave to soften and make easier to roll. To warm in microwave you can wet a paper towel (moist not soaking) and place on a plate, cover tortillas. Warm for about 20 sec. (no more than 30 secs.)