From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
- ¼ cup butter, margarine or oil
- ¼ cup rice flour - use regular rice flour, not sweet rice flour.
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken or turkey stock (you can use some wine as part of this stock quantity)
- 2 Tbsp. of tomato paste (Optional - this is to enhance color)
- Salt and pepper
- About 2 cups of leftover, cooked diced turkey or chicken thighs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of additional vegetables - sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, olives, capers, etc.
- ½ lb. gluten-free rotini pasta cooked according to packet directions and drained. Undercook the pasta, as it will absorb more liquid when you cook it with these ingredients.
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (I use pizza blend)
1. Melt butter or oil in a non-stick saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth and cook over gentle heat for about 2 minutes. This cooks the flour and prevents the grainy, raw flour taste.
2. Slowly stir in milk and stock, bring to a boil and cook over gentle heat for about 3 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Add tomato paste.
3. Add turkey, vegetables, cooked pasta and 1 cup of cheese. Mix well. Pasta tends to absorb the sauce and the melting cheese thickens it, so I can add up to one more cup of milk or stock to make the mixture runnier. Taste and adjust seasoning.
4. Pour into greased lasagna pan, top with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese (or ½ cup Parmesan cheese, if you prefer). You can also crush some Gluten-Free Corn Chex and mix with the cheese for a crispy topping.
5. Cover and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes until bubbling. Let cool, then serve immediately or store in the fridge and reheat when company arrives.
Tips & Alternatives:
This white sauce can be a very versatile ingredient. Use it to layer in a gluten-free lasagna, jazz up real or packet gluten-free macaroni and cheese, put in a pie plate with gluten-free pie crust and bake, top with hash browns and bake, or even top a gluten-free pizza crust with a sauce and meat mix.