From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
Makes 4-8 portions, depending on appetite.
- 3 large Granny Smith apples (about 1 lb total weight), peeled, cored, quartered and thinly sliced.
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 stick of soft butter (2 oz) or dairy-free alternative
- 1/2 cup ordinary sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp ground almonds (make your own by grinding skinless almonds in a food processor to the consistency of fine breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp almond extract
- ¼ - ½ cup sliced almonds – optional, but it adds a nice contrasting crunch to the dessert
- Powdered sugar or sour cream mixed with honey to taste (for garnish)
1. Place the apples in an 8” x 8” brownie pan, with the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and water. Microwave for about 4 minutes until the mix is hot and the apples are softening.
2. Stir in cornstarch.
3. Place all of the topping ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until well blended. Don’t beat for more than 2 minutes, as it toughens the mix.
4. Gently spread filling on top of apples to cover completely.
5. Sprinkle sliced almonds on top and bake in 350 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown throughout.
6. Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm or cold with sour cream.