From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
- 1 lb. (500g) fresh strawberries, washed and hulled.
- ½ cup (4oz, 120 g) sugar
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Amaretto (optional)
- ½-1 tsp. rose water, (optional - Indian and Asian markets usually carry it.)
- ½ cup (4 fl. oz, 120ml) heavy or whipping cream
- 1 cup (8fl oz, 240 ml) vanilla yogurt
- More sugar, vanilla extract to taste, optional
- 4 gluten-free meringue cookies, roughly broken into pieces (you can use store-bought cookies)
- Packet of freeze-dried strawberries.
- ½ cup toasted nuts
1. Crush half the strawberries, either in food processor, by hand or with a potato masher. Sprinkle in the sugar, Amaretto and remaining strawberries cut into bite size pieces. Stir well and leave to sit for at least an hour until the strawberries combine to make more juice. Taste and see if you want to add the rose water.
2. Whip the cream until stiff, then gently fold in yogurt. Taste and see if you want to slowly add more sugar, one tablespoon (15ml) at a time.
3. Gently fold about ¾ of cream mix into the strawberry mix and spoon into a decorative serving dish. Top with remaining cream and sprinkle with meringue pieces, chopped toasted nuts and freeze-dried strawberries. All quantities are to taste.