From Anne Lee, MSEd, RD, LD, Director of Nutritional Services, Dr. Schar USA
Serves 4 as a side dish.
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1-½ cups cooked black beans (15 oz can, drained)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (red, green, yellow, or a mixture)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh green chilies
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Lemon or lime wedges
1. Rinse the quinoa well in a sieve under cool running water.
2. In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil; add the quinoa, cover, and simmer on low heat, until all of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cilantro, and scallions. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, and chilies.
4. Add the cooled quinoa, and salt and pepper to taste, and combine thoroughly.
5. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with lemon or lime wedges.