A sneak peek into Silvana Nardone's cookbook, "Silvana’s Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Kitchen: Timeless Favorites Transformed."
Between the whole blueberries and the blueberry swirl, these muffins deliver a burst of flavor in every bite. The lemon sugar makes the tops extra crunchy.
Makes 12 muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1¼ cups plus 1 tsp. sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2¼ cups Silvana's Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup homemade Cashew or Almond Milk or store-bought
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, stir together ¼ cup of the sugar and the lemon zest. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F with a rack in the middle. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring 1 cup of the blueberries and 1 teaspoon of the sugar to a simmer. Cook, mashing occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, beat together the remaining 1 cup sugar, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Pour the batter into each prepared muffin pan cup until two-thirds full. Spoon about 1 tsp. of the blueberry compote into each muffin batter center and, using a fork, swirl. Sprinkle generously with the lemon sugar. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool on a rack before serving. (The muffins can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 1 month.)