From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
- 1 stick (4oz.) very soft butter
- 1 cup (8 oz.) sugar – divided in half
- 4 large eggs, separated into yolks and whites.
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cup (8 oz.) of almond meal
- Zest of 1-2 lemons or oranges
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and gluten-free flour a 10” bundt pan. Beat the egg whites until stiff in an 8 cup spotlessly clean (meaning no grease at all) mixing bowl. Add the ½ cup of sugar and beat until the egg white mixture is meringue-like: stiff, glossy, shiny.
- If you have a second 8 cup bowl then you can make the rest of cake in second bowl. Otherwise, scoop out meringue mix onto dinner plate, large cereal bowl and use the empty bowl for cake – no need to wash.
- Beat very soft butter, the second ½ cup sugar, egg yolks and almond flour together until thick and creamy. Beat in lemon or orange zest.
- Scoop about ¼ of meringue mix into egg yolk mix and beat to blend.
- Add rest of meringue mix and carefully fold and gently stir into egg yolk mix. Make sure to get down to very bottom of mixing bowl, the mix will be quite stiff and it is hard work. Scrape any zest off the beaters, it tends to stick there.
- Scoop mix into bundt pan and cook for about 45 minutes until well risen, golden brown and set but still soft in the middle.
- Remove from oven, let cool in pan for about 10 minutes and then turn out onto cooling rack to finish cooling. The texture should be similar to rolls of almond paste when cut, but cooked throughout. It is quite a tender cake so be careful turning it out. If it breaks, just serve it as slices.