From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
- 4 small beets cooked and peeled, or use roughly half of a 15 oz. can of small whole beets
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard (make sure it's gluten-free)
- 2 tsp. maple syrup or honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Greens of 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- Zest of half an orange
- Fresh orange, clementines etc., segmented, or small can of mandarin oranges
- Romaine or butter lettuce, shredded
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- ½ cup chopped nuts
1. Put balsamic vinegar, orange juice, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a container large enough to take vinaigrette and beets. Mix together.
2. Add olive oil, parsley and green onions. Mix it all together using an immersion blender until herbs are chopped and vinaigrette begins to thicken. Taste and adjust seasonings, sweetness, etc.
3. Cut beets into ½ inch cubes using a fluted cutter for a prettier presentation. Add beets to half of the vinaigrette. Preferably leave beets in the dressing for a few hours for flavors to develop.
4. Divide shredded lettuce between two plates. Top with beets in vinaigrette and a few slices of goat cheese (or whichever cheese you prefer). Add some slices of orange
5. Finish with chopped nuts or crushed nut brittle and a drizzle of orange vinaigrette.
Tips and Alternatives: Cook the beets in boiling water, or you can microwave them in a microwave safe bowl with a cover, 2 tablespoons of water and 2 small beets for about 8-10 minutes.
Choose whatever cheese or nuts you would like to top the salad. Omit them for dairy-free or nut-free.