From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese (lite is fine)
- 1 cup sour cream (lite is fine)
- 2 tsp onion soup powder mix (make sure it’s gluten-free)
- 4 Tbsp salsa - medium strength or stronger to your desire
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 cups (8 oz. bag) shredded cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 cup finely shredded crisp lettuce, such as iceberg
1. Mix cream cheese, sour cream, onion soup powder, salsa and cumin, and spread in the bottom of a 9” pie plate or equivalent dish. I like to mix the cream cheese mix together 1-2 days in advance in a bowl and leave it covered in the fridge, then give it a good stir before you spread it in serving dish. The flavors are better this way, and the onion soup powder softens.
2. Top with cheddar in one layer, followed by a layer of lettuce and a layer of tomatoes.
3. Serve with tortilla chips.
Tips & Alternatives: I find that, when refrigerated, the cream cheese mixture stiffens up so the tortilla chips break when you try to scoop the dip. I prefer to leave a spoon with small plates so guests can take a portion onto a plate and then use the chips.
Using this quantity of medium strength salsa only gives a nice flavor and is not hot, so you can use a hotter sauce or more. Everyone likes this proportion.
For a recipe that turns the cream cheese layer into a taco cheese log/ball, visit my website.