From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
- 1 medium to large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 sirloin burgers, thawed, or 1 lb. ground sirloin or 1 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- 2-4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely crushed
- ½ green pepper, deseeded and cut into small cubes (optional)
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and cut into small cubes (optional)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp pureed gluten-free chipotles in adobo sauce (use less if you don’t like heat)
- 2 x 8 oz. cans tomato sauce, and swish empty cans with water to measure one cup of water total
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1-2 tsp gluten-free chicken base concentrate
- 11 oz. can sweet corn
- 15 oz. can cannellini beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Garnishes: cilantro, sour cream, salsa, chopped avocado, crushed tortilla chips, chopped green onions, shredded cheese, etc.
1. Heat oil in pan, add onions and cook over a medium heat until browning. Add crumbled sirloin or ground turkey with garlic and peppers and cook until meat is no longer pink.
2. Add cumin, cinnamon, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir in well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add mustard and pureed chipotles. Stir, add tomato sauce, ketchup, water, chicken concentrate, corn, beans and bay leaf.
4. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or until chili is cooked and tasty. Taste and adjust seasoning and remove bay leaf.
Tips & Alternatives: Serve with Oonagh’s cheese toaster breads – Celiac Central January 2011 or corn bread toaster breads Celiac Central November 2011. Cut the cooked breads into 8’s and pan fry in olive oil and serve as croutons as in photo.