This salad makes a wonderful side dish or an easy gluten-free and protein-packed lunch.
Courtesy of Allergic Living and Chef Simon Clarke
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can each, Borlotti, pinto and Cannellini beans*, drained and rinsed OR 1½ cups cooked dry beans (Pre-soak according to package directions.)
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 ⁄ 2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. gluten-free Dijon mustard
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeds and skin removed
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano
- 2 green onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. each, salt and pepper
1. Combine all salad ingredients.
2. For dressing, place all ingredients into a blender. Blend on high for 30-40 seconds.
3. Pour dressing over salad, toss. (This salad can be made up to an hour in advance.)
*Note: It’s fine to substitute other beans of your liking. Beans come in a wide variety of healthy choices.