An absolute taste sensation. And far easier than pie.
Courtesy of Allergic Living and Chef Simon Clarke
Makes 4-6 servings
Free of: Gluten; dairy replaced
Bonus: packed with antioxidants, vitamins C, A and E, magnesium
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, washed
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 ⁄ 4 cup crème de cassis [For alcohol-free, substitute water]
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Fresh mint leaves
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, crème de cassis (if using) and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce by about half.
- Reduce to a simmer, adding blueberries, lemon juice and zest.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Serve over plain yogurt (or soy yogurt for dairy-free). Garnish with mint leaves.
Note: This exquisite compote can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge.