From Chef Oonagh Williams of Gluten-Free Cooking with Oonagh
I love good smoked salmon and served it at our wedding and our son’s christening on Irish soda bread. It makes for an easy appetizer, that's elegant looking, can be made in advance, and is very very popular. The sauce is a variation on the sweet mustard dill sauce that is served with gravlax cured salmon. Gravlax is delicious, not easily available to buy, and normally expensive, so I make the sauce and serve it with regular imported smoked salmon from Costco or Ducktrap smoked salmon from Maine. Not lox salmon.
- 1 English cucumber, removed from plastic wrapping immediately you get home and refrigerated. I find cucumber goes moldy rapidly if left in tight plastic wrap. Wash cucumber, leave skin on and cut into 1/4-1/2 inch slices on a diagonal. Experiment and see what thickness you like best. Too thin and cucumber can’t hold weight of salmon and sauce.
- Smoked Salmon 4-8 oz– as much as you want to buy or how much you love ‘em all. Open vacuum packed bag and use sharp knife to cut salmon in tic,tac,toe pattern as chopped salmon is easier to place on cucumber slice and easier to eat.
Top with small spoonful of sauce (recipe below), and finely chopped chives or fresh dill.
This is the proportions of ingredients I like for the sauce, everyone’s taste is different. Remember that every mustard can taste different, you might like more or less honey than I do, dill can be overpowering and bitter. It is always possible to add more of any ingredient, but not so easy to remove.
You could fold chopped smoked salmon into the mustard or sour cream sauce and put spoonfuls on cucumber and that’s easier to prepare.
Gluten-Free Cucumber, Smoked Salmon and Sweet Mustard Dill Sauce
- 1/3 c mayonnaise – I buy lite
- 2 tsp honey Dijon mustard
- and 2 tsps honey
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1. Mix together and refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to blend. Add a bit of water to thin if necessary. If you only have regular Dijon, then you will need to add more honey to taste. Honey mellows the mustard so the flavor doesn’t overpower the cucumber and smoked salmon.