Courtesy of Paul Biscione, of Food Living and Everything Else.
- 2 15oz cans of corn; liquid drained
- 1/4 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup or cornmeal
- 1/3 cup of white sugar
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 6 tbsp butter; melted
- 4 tbsp coconut milk; or regular milk
- 1/2 cup or water
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350º.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together the melted butter, masa harina and sugar until smooth.
3. In a blender (or food processor), add one can of corn, corn meal, milk and water until smooth.
4. Pour the corn mixture into the masa mixture with the salt, baking powder, remaining corn and mix to combine.
5. Pour mixture into an 8 x 8 baking dish covered tightly with tin foil and then place that baking dish into another larger baking dish filled with about an inch of water.
6. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
7. Remove carefully from the oven, let sit for about 3 to 5 minutes and stir up the corn mixture prior to serving to give the corn tomalito a fluffy texture.
Helpful hint: For best results, scoop the corn tomalito into your serving dish and use a whisk to mash it up. This gives the tomalito the right texture.
As well as being very easy to make, this side dish is gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and can be dairy free.