From Jessica Meyer, of ATX Gluten-Free
- 1 package gluten-free pizza crust
- 1 lb. chicken, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bottle gluten-free BBQ sauce (you will use roughly half of bottle) OR about 2 cups homemade BBQ sauce (recipe follows)
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place thinly sliced onions in skillet (medium-high) with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Let them cook until they are golden brown. Add minced garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in balsamic vinegar, set aside.
Brown chicken in same skillet with olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and marjoram. Once cooked through, add in balsamic onion mixture and take off heat.
Place pizza crusts on baking sheet. Top with BBQ (however much you like, I use a thin layer) and spread evenly around crusts. Place chicken-onion mixture on top of the sauced pizza crusts. Add mozzarella and parmesan on top.
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
Tangy Barbecue Sauce
(Makes about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder + 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bundle of fresh thyme, about 10 sprigs tied with kitchen twine
Put all ingredients in a pot and bring to a quick boil. Turn down heat and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Strain barbecue sauce through strainer to remove bits of thyme leaves and twigs, or lift bundle out and leave thyme leaves in sauce.