From Jules Shepard, of Jules Gluten Free
Makes approximately 20 chewy granola bars.
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- ½ cup Jules Gluten Free All Purpose Flour or certified gluten-free oat flour
- 3 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats, rice flakes or quinoa flakes
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup grated carrots
- ¾ cup baking raisins (or boil raisins in water, drain, then add to the recipe)
- ½ cup dried apples, chopped
- ½ cup dried bananas, chopped
- ½ cup figs, chopped (approximately 5 figs)
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ¼ cup dates, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, blueberries, cherries or other berry of choice
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (omit for nut-free)
- ½ cup agave nectar, honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup Blackstrap molasses
- ½ cup sunflower nut butter (for nut-free) or “natural” peanut, almond or cashew butter
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice or cider
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Line a jelly roll baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking oil.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flaxseed meal, gluten-free flour, oats, cinnamon and fruits and nuts of your choice (in similar proportions to those listed above). When fully combined, stir in the agave nectar, applesauce, molasses, nut butter and juice, mixing with a large wooden spoon until well incorporated. The mixture should be wet enough to press together for baking.
Pack the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and press down with the back of a rubber spatula or large wooden spoon.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges begin to brown slightly.
Remove from the oven and cut into bars using a pizza cutter before fully cooled.
To remove bars when cooled, simply lift the foil edges out of the jelly roll pan and store the cut bars in a zip-top bag at room temperature or freeze.