From NFCA team member Nancy Baker
- 12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups instant buckwheat cereal or Cream of Buckwheat
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup potato starch
- ½ cup rice flour (brown or white)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1½ cups raisins or craisins
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (about 150°C). Cream the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the egg and vanilla until smooth.
2. Add cornstarch, potato starch, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the batter until just combined. Stir in the buckwheat and raisins.
3. Roll the cookies tightly into balls, until the outside becomes somewhat greasy. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and pat down.
4. Bake until the cookies are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes, cool for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a rack to cool further.
*Got a gluten-free recipe that tops them all? Enter it in NFCA's "Holiday Dips & Dishes" Gluten-Free Recipe Contest, sponsored by Crunchmaster. The Grand Prize winner gets $500 cash, and the winning recipe will be featured on Crunchmaster's website.
For complete details and to submit your recipe, visit www.beyondceliac.org/Contest.