- ¼ cup bacon grease (make sure the bacon is gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 quart can tomatoes
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken or seafood stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ pound lump crab meat, picked over for shells
- 1 pound shrimp
- ½ pound gluten-free andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon filé powder (ground sassafras leaves - optional)
1. To make the roux, heat the bacon grease over medium heat and whisk in coconut flour and almond flour. Stir continuously until the roux has a dark brown color but is not burnt (think dark peanut butter color).
2. Add the onions, celery, peppers, and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent and celery somewhat soft.
3. Add in the tomatoes, stock, and bay leaves, and bring to a simmer.
4. Stir in the crab meat, shrimp, and andouille, cooking until shrimp are cooked through.
5. Remove from heat and add filé powder. Stir and serve.
Variation: If you don’t have any crab meat, you can increase the shrimp or sausage quantities. Chicken also works great in gumbo.