- 5 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. white rice flour
- 2 onions, one sliced into thin strips, one finely diced
- Olive oil
- 3 cups white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 16 oz. fresh green beans, cleaned, trimmed, and cooked until tender
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the onion crisps, pour 3 Tbsp. cornstarch, 3 Tbsp. rice flour and finely sliced onions into a Ziploc bag and shake until completely covered. In a large cast iron skillet pour olive oil until it is a 1/4 inch deep and turn on high heat. Once oil is hot (test with one onion, if it sizzles you are ready) toss in flour covered onion crisps and fry until browned, do it in several shifts so the pan doesn’t get too crowded. Remove onions from oil and place on a dry paper towel.
- In a medium pan pour in 3 Tbsp. of olive oil, chopped onions, and white mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are soft, then add milk. Once milk is boiling add in 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, stir continuously with a whisk to prevent clumping and ensure thickening. Boil for about a minute then remove from heat and put on low heat to simmer for several minutes, add salt and pepper.
- Stir in cooked green beans until everything is mixed, you can either add in the cheese now or put all of it on top once poured into casserole dish. Pour everything into casserole dish, cover and bake for 30 minutes. Once ready to serve, add homemade onion crisps and enjoy!