Gluten-Free Recipes for Holiday
Cauliflower Mashed PotatoesOctober 14, 2008
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- 4 ½ cup cauliflower
- ¾ cup cashews, soaked in water for 4 hrs. (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 medium garlic clove
Blend all ingredients together. If you’re using a Vitamix blender, blend fast and long enough to heat up.
<< Back to Recipes
TAGS: DAIRY-FREE, FOR KIDS, HOLIDAY, PALEO, SIDE DISHES, THANKSGIVING, VEGAN
Shrimp and Crab BisqueMay 5, 2008
From Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering
About 6 dinner party portions
- ½ stick (2oz) butter or olive oil, but butter is richer flavored
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ribs or stalks of celery, washed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 c water
- 1 x 8oz can no salt tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free chicken stock concentrate
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tomato ketchup
- coffee filter filled with ½ teaspoon dry thyme, 1 bay leaf, some fresh parsley stalks and tied shut
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- grated rind of ¼ lemon
- 2 tbsp sherry
- 1/3 lb cooked, peeled salad shrimp.
- 2 x 6 oz cans of crab meat, well drained, or 8 oz fresh or frozen crab, thawed
- dash of fresh nutmeg
- dash of cayenne pepper (if you like a bite to your soup)
- Fresh, chopped parsley to garnish.
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
- Melt butter in a 3 quart non-stick pan. Add onions, garlic, carrot and celery and cook, covered over a low heat, for about 10 minutes until they soften. This is known as “sweating” the vegetables and allows more flavor to develop rather than just cooking them immediately in stock.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, stock, ketchup, coffee filter of herbs and freshly ground pepper. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cook covered for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove herb packet and then use an immersion blender and puree the vegetable and stock mix directly in the pan. (You can also pour into a blender or food processor and puree.)
- Add the lemon rind, nutmeg, cayenne (if desired), cream and cornstarch mix.
- Add sherry and bring back to just under a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add thawed shrimp, drained crab and simmer for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat, add parsley and let sit for a few minutes. You don’t want to boil any soup with a milk mix added as it can break up. Too much heat will also toughen the shrimp and also will prevent you from appreciating the flavor of the soup.
Note: Always check the label to ensure ingredients are gluten-free.
TAGS: APPETIZERS/SNACKS, HOLIDAY