Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
Recipe tester: Erin Smith of Gluten-Free Fun – July 11, 2012
Read Erin’s review of this recipe: Gluten-Free Frito-Lay Recipes
Courtesy of Frito-Lay
- 6 large beefsteak tomatoes
- About 4 servings of Tostitos Restaurant Style tortilla chips, crushed into ½ cup crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh basil, cut into thin ribbons
- ½ cup shredded dairy-free cheese (or ½ cup Parmesan cheese if you’re not dairy-free)
- 1 cup white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350. Slice top of tomatoes off and scoop out pulp and seeds. Salt the insides of tomatoes and rest upside down on a wire rack over a sheet pan to extract juices for about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together Tostitos crumbs, basil, cheese, kidney beans, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stuff tomatoes with the filling, and bake until tomatoes are cooked through and tops are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
3. If you have some filling leftover, it makes a great mix-in for spinach salad!